Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Al Capone Does My Shirts

"Today I moved to a twelve-acre rock covered with cement, topped with bird turd and surrounded by water."  

That's how I introduced Gennifer Choldenko's Newbery Award-winning book, Al Capone Does My Shirts, to our 7th graders.  And they loved it!  Especially the boys...  In a couple of weeks, a few 7th grade teachers and I will be hosting a book event based on this book.  Boys and girls alike will be attending.  We're concentrating on baseball themed decorations and Autism Awareness as the focus of our book event.  We're even planning on maybe holding a pitch/catch contest since it's such a big part of the book.  Of course, we'll discuss the book and take a virtual tour of Alcatraz.  And we can't leave out Scarface!  We'll share facts about him and introduce the sequel, Al Capone Shines My Shoes. 

For those counting along with me, this makes book #8 of 113.  I've read 3 adult novels since posting last. 

Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment