Search This Blog

Thursday, June 17, 2010

SLOB

SLOB absolutely makes my list of "Best Books Ever for Young Adults!". I really need to write that list down sometime, don't I? Anyhow, finished SLOB this morning and had that "can't believe the story has ended" feeling. You know that feeling, right? You smile as you finish the last paragraph, you turn the page hoping for an epilogue, you search the cover and flaps for anything you might have missed before you started the book, and you hold the book close to your chest thankful that you have added this wonderful story to your repertoire of unforgettable stories.

SLOB is one of those books I wish every middle school student could read, and not simply for the lessons taught throughout the story. I love the way Ellen Porter writes. She has her own unique style. When I saw that Booklist compared her to Roald Dahl and Polly Horvath, I thought "yeah, right". But it's so true! As soon as I thought I had her story figured out, she surprised me. And it was a pleasant surprise each time. Porter is an excellent author.

Ellen Porter personally replied to my email yesterday and quoted her author visit price of $1500.00 plus travel expenses. She lives in upstate New York.

If you can't get your hands on a copy of SLOB, try another of her books. She writes the Olivia Kidney Series. I'm sure they won't disappoint.

Ellen Porter for President!
*And you'll never believe what happened to Owen's Oreo cookies! ;)
Happy Reading...
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment