Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Welcome Book Lovers

This is the first official post and my last official work day for the month of June! Now the summer begins...have a stack of books waist-high that I'm anxious to begin. Will reveal more about how and why this blog was born in later posts. I'd like my first post to start strong, so let me tell you about a great young adult book I just finished. Jane in Bloom by Deborah A. Lytton is a fantastic read for tween girls. 6th grader Jane, who desperately wants her ears pierced, must deal with more pressing matters, like the agonizing situation with her older sister, Lizzie. This novel speaks to me about the sister relationship I never had, (and which my husband and children will never know), the importance of spending quality time with EACH of my children, the anorexia/bulimia epidemic spreading fiercely through our youth, and the need to slow down and smell the roses. Literally. As I began this book, I was forced to slow down my reading (which is a good thing, I tend to read too fast) by the author's choppy style. I love how this reflects Jane's thinking. Such a strong, subtle technique. Tween girls will identify with Jane from the first sentence and will come to love her through to the end. There's a romance blooming as well!

Currently, I'm reading Slob by Ellen Porter. Hilarious! Good boy book! I'm trying to solve the mystery of Owen's missing Oreo cookies. Have you seen them?

Back to work...
Happy Reading!
RC

2 comments:

  1. I know im kind of late commenting on this since I realized u had a blog at chess club but I have been dying to read it can u respond and tell me if mnms library has it please and thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we have multiple copies. We keep it in the Bluegrass section.

    ReplyDelete