Search This Blog

Monday, November 26, 2012

#43 The Bar Code Prophecy

I was so excited to learn that Suzanne Weyn had written the final book in the Bar Code Trilogy that I immediately snagged it from the box as soon as it arrived!  I pushed all other books in my reading stack to the side.  If you know me, you know this is no small feat...  And it was well worth it, or at least I thought it was up until the last chapter!  I am so disappointed.  Weyn had a real opportunity to create another heroine.  And she failed.  In my humble opinion, I believe Weyn could have brought Grace to Kayla's status as rebel warrior; she was developed to have a past that led to an unknown future.  However dissatisfied I am with the ending, I am thrilled that she brought Kayla and her crew back for book #3.  I'm satisfied with her story as it spans three novels, and I'm sure my students will appreciate keeping up with Mfumbe and Eutonah.  I wish Grace weren't such a product of her circumstances.  Perhaps it's just my personal philosophy of females in young adult literature these days, but I want authors to create female protagonists that rise above their circumstances and change the future! No more victims!  I won't create a spoiler alert, but as Weyn wrote this ending, there's literally nothing Grace can do but literally hang on!  And to me...that's taking the easy way out.  Sorry, Suzanne Weyn...I'm still your biggest fan here at MNMS!  And I'll continue to push your books!  But...I was looking for a little more character development. 

Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment