Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Giver Series #s 39, 40, 41 and 42


 Our next book event at MNMS, will take place in late January 2013, and will feature Lois Lowry's The Giver Series.  I was inspired by a fellow coworker/reading teacher/reading pal to read the entire series and to share my reading experience with the students.  In addition, it's a timely series to read, as the dystopian fiction trend has captivated our middle school readers.  I have never read past book one, The Giver...and I read it in college as a requirement.  (I never responded well to required reading.) So, I am reading with a new purpose and love the book as if it's brand new.  Excited to begin book 2 this evening.  I will read straight through the series, as I hate to interrupt the story by reading others...muddies the literary waters of my brain. 

Here's the blurb from The Giver... 

"Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community.
When Jonas turns twelve he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now it's time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back."


All students, faculty and staff are invited to read along with me and to join me in late January before school for a book/breakfast meeting.  

Happy Reading!
RC


No comments:

Post a Comment