Search This Blog

Monday, October 8, 2012

Redeeming Love #36

Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers.  One of the most profound love stories I've read.  What touched me most was the author's note printed towards the end of this edition.  I struggle with the same issues that Rivers mentions and I felt honored that she would share her private struggles with me, her reader.  The sincerity and intimacy convinced me that this was a story I needed to read.  Although I hadn't read Gomer and Hosea's story from the Bible, I was familiar with the Biblical names and had a friend or two who had strongly suggested I read this book.  I ordered it from Amazon and when it was delivered, I was shocked by the sheer mass of the book itself.  The book is heavy!  Literally! 

I am ashamed that I wasn't able to blog about the book immediately after reading it...which is my usual habit now.  Francine Rivers provides the best summary of her story.  I'll provide an opinion...

So, taken from the awesome Rivers herself, here's a blurb...
California’s gold country, 1850. A time when men sold their souls for a bag of gold and women sold their bodies for a place to sleep.  Angel expects nothing from men but betrayal. Sold into prostitution as a child, she survives by keeping her hatred alive. And what she hates most are the men who use her, leaving her empty and dead inside. Then she meets Michael Hosea. A man who seeks his Father’s heart in everything, Michael Hosea obeys God’s call to marry Angel and to love her unconditionally. Slowly, day by day, he defies Angel’s every bitter expectation until, despite her resistance her frozen heart begins to thaw. But with her unexpected softening come overwhelming feelings of unworthiness and fear. And so Angel runs. Back to the darkness, away from her husband’s pursuing love, terrified of the truth she can no longer deny: Her final healing must come from the One who loves her even more than Michael Hosea does…the One who will never let her go.  A life-changing story of God’s unconditional, redemptive, all-consuming love. 

And it truly is a story of redemption.  Angel's redemption.  I couldn't understand why she wouldn't accept Michael's love.  His acceptance.  His forgiveness.  I mean, c'mon ladies...she was a prostitute and a mighty fine one!  She was the town favorite!  And he waltzes in and saves her!  A knight in shining armor!  Just what we girls all dreamed of, right?  Not for Angel.  Her past had ruined her future.  Or so she believed.  I love the moment she begins to enjoy being Michael's wife.  Everything just becomes easier for her then.  And she is able to love others once she loves herself.  But only after accepting God's love for her.  That had to come first.

Would definitely recommend this book to any woman.  Especially one who feels that her past has somehow tainted her future.  Or to a woman who feels as is she's somehow unworthy of happiness.  There are many women out there...bless their hearts.  

Happy Reading!
RC 

No comments:

Post a Comment