Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Counting by 7s

If you've never read young adult fiction, and you'd like to give it a try...start with this novel by Holly Goldberg Sloan.  Counting by 7s is one of the best books of the year.  So far, only adults I know have read it...but I gave it to a 7th grader last night, after I finished it waiting for my daughter's chorus program to begin.  

So, what's this book about?  A twelve-year-old girl named Willow endures what most kids never will...tragic loss over and over. She finds herself in so many temporary situations that she loses what little faith in life she had.  Willow is an absolute genius and sees the world differently.  Her coping skills involve counting by 7s.  The friends she makes throughout the book save her...and in turn she saves them.  

If you need a more in-depth review or summary, Google it.  I feel strongly against telling you too much about the story because I dove in with no prior knowledge and enjoyed the twists and turns of Willow's story. The surprises had me giggling, weeping, sobbing and silent.  
 
I wouldn't doubt this book receives many honors... I will be buying it for my children to one day take with them to their homes.  

You won't be sorry...
Happy Reading!
RC

1 comment:

  1. I was looking for a book for winter break.. I think I found it.

    ReplyDelete