Search This Blog

Friday, January 24, 2014

Black History Month titles

One of my sixth grade reading teachers will be asking her students to choose from several young adult historical fiction novels which embrace the struggles African Americans have had in our country's history.  One of my personal favorites is Copper Sun by Sharon M. Draper, and so I placed that at the top of the list!  Here are the titles I've provided her students with.  If you're looking for a Black History Month read, any of these would be fantastic.  I'm sure there are other awesome titles, but this list comprises multiple copies that we have in our school library.

Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
The Watson's Go to Birmingham by C. P. Curtis
Elijah of Buxton by C.P. Curtis
Miracle's Boys by Jacqueline Woodson
Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor
The Skin I'm In by Sharon Flake
Nightjohn by Gary Paulsen
To Be a Slave by Julius Lester
Numbering All the Bones by Ann Rinaldi
Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson
Forge by L.H. Anderson

I encourage you to read something new during the month of February as we celebrate Black History Month.  You'll always learn something new by reading a good piece of historical fiction. 

Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment