Search This Blog

Friday, January 24, 2014

Insurgent and Allegiant

After dropping my son off at a local restaurant to have his first official dinner date with his girlfriend before their school's annual Winter Formal, I decided to work in the school library to organize some fiction and get things caught up.  To my surprise, a book I have been wanting to read but that has been as elusive as BigFoot, was waiting for me in the book drop!  Insurgent, the second in the Divergent trilogy, is constantly checked out.  Very popular among my middle school readers right now.  I loved the first book and was so tickled to read the second that I practically read half of it that night!  I was intrigued at how continuous the story was...it was as if I had simply turned a page and started the next chapter in Tris and Tobias' adventures.  Fascinating character development and plot twists and turns kept my attention so that I finished the book in two days.  I have to admit that my head spun around several times...there are many sly characters who spy and switch sides frequently.  Who do we trust?!  But that made for an even better read, in my opinion.  Some readers may find that distracting, though.  Especially if they had to wait several months before reading the second book.  To my dismay, our county was covered in snow and I found myself dying to read the third and final book in the trilogy, Allegiant.  So, I did what I rarely do...I downloaded it digitally and am currently reading it on my phone.  I despise digital reading for two reasons.  First, my eyes aren't what they used to be and despite finagling with the dimmer and background, I have to stop frequently to give my eyes a break from the screen.  Secondly, the iBooks app depletes my battery so much that I have to sit plugged in to the wall just to read.  Yuck.  I have a Sony eReader, but it's such a hassle.  I am halfway through, or at least that's what the little bar says, I can't tell, and am loving it.  I cannot believe there's more action to come...how did the author manage to find this many plot twists?  Wow!  I'm going out on a limb and announcing that I prefer this series to The Hunger Games.  I've already seen a preview of the film, which is due out in March, and I'm thinking I may even prefer those movies as well.  Cannot wait to take my Wall of Fame readers to see the movie after Spring Break!  One of my favorite things to do in life is to read a book and watch the movie.  

If you have a chance, read this series.  You won't be sorry.  Especially if you like dystopian fiction.  And yes, I feel really ANCIENT now that my son is old enough to be attending high school dances.  :)

Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment