Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Studio Ghibli Films

Studio Ghibli, a division of Disney, produces some of the best anime films.  Fortunately for me, their films are based on young adult literature and I can expose my middle school students to the talents of Hayao Miyazaki, Tashio Suzuki as well as the fantastical novels of Diana Wynne Jones and Mary Norton.  Usually, I can't get my students to read Jones or Norton...their stories were published prior to 2000 and thus deemed "old" to most students.  I've been successful purchasing fresh copies of the books and fooling my students into thinking their
new...I never lie, I just don't answer when they ask, "Is this a new book?"  But I cannot get them to pick up a copy of Howl's Moving Castle (Jones) or The Borrowers (Norton) even with newer versions.  Anime to the rescue!!!  Now, I have the upper hand with these conversations.  This is how one of my recent book consultations went...

Student: "Will you help me find a good book?"
Me:  "Sure!  Do you enjoy fantasy?"
Student: "Yes."
Me:  "Why don't you try this?' (As I hold up a copy of either book.)

Student:  "No, that's ok."
Me:  "Do you like anime?"
Student: "Yes"

Me:  "Have you heard of 'Spirited Away'?"
Student: "Yes, I love that movie."
Me:  "The same director created an anime film for this book.  If you'll read it, I'll let you check out the DVD."
Student: "Awesome!"


I couldn't be more pleased to finally have a method for circulating these titles.  I mean, c'mon...look at the covers we own.  Would you want to check these out?  :)  Students who have never found a hidden treasure in the library don't know that feeling...the euphoria you feel when you realize you've discovered a story worth reading again and again.  Despite the horrific cover or lack thereof! 

Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment