Search This Blog

Friday, March 28, 2014

Night

I first heard about Elie Wiesel while watching the Oprah Winfrey Show.  I had seen an advertisement that she would be visiting Auschwitz with one of the Holocaust Survivors and I knew I wanted to know more.  So I tuned in.  It was interesting and I could feel the grief and pain fresh on the man's face.  Could almost feel it through the television.  And then many years passed and I thought about other things...

Working in the book storage closet, I discovered a classroom set of Night by Wiesel.  Unmarked and unused.  I had a few requests from teachers on and off who wished to read the book for personal or professional reasons, but never to use with a class.  I figured it was too graphic for middle school students and I let them collect dust.  A few months ago, while choosing Book Breakfast titles, I dusted them off and stacked them on the counter.  If a student wished to learn more about the Holocaust, I would let them.  And then in May, we'd discuss what we'd learned.  It's a powerful read.  Not one to be read quickly.  It's an experience to ponder.  To let absorb into your soul.  Sure, the content is graphic, but it's truth.  The language is tame compared to other popular young adult reads.  I always preface checkout with a statement about abandoning and how it's okay to put down a book that bothers you.  But they usually won't put down Night without finishing.  They have a craving, a desire, a need to read and empathetically  connect with characters, to connect with the survivor.  I can't wait to sit and listen as my students share their feelings about Elie's story.  I will share with them a copy of the book, Six Million Paperclips and am in the process of ordering a copy of the documentary, which I loved watching on HBO.  My students devour everything I have on WWII and the Holocaust.  I believe it has something to do with their emotional state, their maturity level.  They are grasping to find out who they are and although they know they'll not have much in common with the characters, they read to experience how the characters deal with their issues.  Immature readers model that behavior.  Mature readers can adapt and learn from the experience...the character made a good choice and reaped benefits OR the character made a bad choice and had to accept the consequences.  I'm finding that more and more, it's easier for me to gauge whether or not a student will be able to discern a character's choices.  There are quite a few times when Wiesel himself questions his own choices and thoughts.  I found that one of the more profound parts of the book. 

I've spent part of the morning looking at images of Dr. Mengele, Auschwitz prisoners and black and white photos of Jewish children, who the SS used for target practice.  If the child could be tossed into the air, they were used as target practice.  If they were too old, they were thrown into the furnace to be burned alive.  That's fact.  Reality.  It happened.  And it's going to be forgotten if we don't make an effort to remember.

Sometimes the reading isn't happy...
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment