Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Spring Reading

Spring cleaning took a back seat to Spring reading this year!  (As it usually does.)  I was able to finish reading Mesu Andrews' Love in a Broken Vessel during the week off and once again absolutely loved her retelling of the Biblical story of Hosea and Gomer.  I appreciate that she doesn't add unnecessary details to the story.  In fact, she uses scripture as the story arc and simply fills in the missing details with historically accurate information to help bring the old story to life.

Another book that I was happy to finish was The Boy on the Wooden Box, a memoir by the youngest Jew on Schindler's List.  Astounding and thought-provoking for middle school students.  Can't compare it to Night by Wiesel, which I recently finished, because the audience isn't the same.  However, I appreciate that the family posthumously published this book with the intentions of educating the world's youth about a horrific event that will soon be forgotten if we don't put forth an effort to remember.  

I also managed to reread The Kidnappers  by Willo Davis Roberts.  I read it along with one of my favorite eighth grade classes.  They enjoyed the quick read and the suspense.  They especially enjoyed the plot twists and the bully's character development.  We talked about static and dynamic characters and then took a look at police sketch artist software used to create the faces of literary characters.  Because they'd read The Outsiders, they loved getting to see the sketch of Dally.  The police sketch artist rendition was a turning point in the plot. 

And finally, I found myself engrossed in a book loaned to me by my cousin, who also loves books.  The Cross Gardener is Christian fiction for those dealing with grief, which can last a lifetime.  Debilitating grief, like what the main character deals with, can be impossible to survive.  If you have someone in your life who is heartbroken and grieving the loss of a family member or friend, this book is for them.  Perhaps you'll want to wait until they are willing to read a book on this topic.  I find that most people drowning in depression really do want to be rescued, they just don't know how to ask.  This book opened my eyes to the miracles God can perform in our daily lives.

Happy Reading!!!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment