Search This Blog

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Treasure Island

I'm reading the classic, Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson for our September Book Breakfast.  I chose this title because I found numerous copies in the book storage closet that had yellowed and hadn't been circulated in many years.  I also am intrigued because this title has one of the oldest copyright dates in our collection and I'm constantly trying to "prove" to my students that older books can be some of the best they've ever read.  I'm excited to introduce my students to young Jim Hawkins and the infamous Long John Silver.  When I booktalked this title, they immediately shouted out, "Like the restaurant?"  Yes.  But he was a character first.  lol

Pick up a classic...give the older titles a chance to impress you. (Or walk the plank, matey!)
Happy Reading!
RC

 

No comments:

Post a Comment