Search This Blog

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Jump

Got a great recommendation from my morning library aides and am loving this book by Ginger Rue!  They were so tickled when I asked them to help ME find a book.  Jump is a fantasy novel that will teach valuable lessons to middle and high school girls about narcissism and bullying.  Very reminiscent so far of "Mean Girls" and "Freaky Friday".  Basically, Brinkley, a popular high school junior attending a prestigious school, is so mean to her female classmates that four of her victims have left and are attending school elsewhere.  One has even checked into rehab for an eating disorder.  Brinkley, being beautiful and perfect in every way, sees nothing wrong with her behavior and sees absolutely no use in attending mandatory counseling sessions after school.  Her counselor has plans to help Brinkley see the world like others do.  Literally.  When Brinkley begins to transform into other girls and spend time walking in their shoes, she is distraught and her therapy truly begins.  

I'm only on page 29 and this is what I know about the story so far.  I plan on enjoying Brinkley's therapy.  :)

Parents, be aware that I keep this book on the restricted shelf due to language.  However, if you're willing to read this alongside your tween or teen, you'll find many good opportunities for discussion.  And, sometimes as a parent I can't express myself like I need to...gonna let this character's story do it for me with my daughter!  

Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment