Search This Blog

Thursday, October 2, 2014

Fall Break Reading

Fall Break reading is almost here and I'm trying to get one more book in before I tackle the 428 page tome that is October Sky by Homer Hickam. I have been waiting patiently to start this memoir so that I may continue the pattern of reading the book breakfast title within the month it is discussed.  That's what I told my students I would do and I'm sticking with it.  This is quite the read for my students.  I don't anticipate more than 4 or 5 students at the breakfast.  Only those truly dedicated readers will wade through this book.  It's size makes it an intimidating choice to middle school students.  I've scheduled a movie night to coincide with the event as sort of a "reward" for finishing the book.

In the meantime, I've taken my library aides' recommendation of another great read for me and I'm thrilled to say I'm enjoying it so far.  If I Stay by Gayle Forman is one of the most popular titles in our library since the movie was released this past summer.  I picked it up last night and read through 30 pages very quickly.  The story flows well, but is meant for a mature reader who can follow the plot sequence changes.  And, there is some mature language.  I'll know more about the mature content when I'm finished, but as for now, I would recommend it only to 7th/8th graders.

Here's an excerpt from the Barnes/Noble website...

 "In the blink of an eye everything changes. Seventeen ­year-old Mia has no memory of the accident; she can only recall what happened afterwards, watching her own damaged body being taken from the wreck. Little by little she struggles to put together the pieces- to figure out what she has lost, what she has left, and the very difficult choice she must make. Heartwrenchingly beautiful, this will change the way you look at life, love, and family. Now a major motion picture starring Chloe Grace Moretz, Mia's story will stay with you for a long, long time."

I'm sure I'll finish this book by the weekend.  Won't be hearing from me for a while...I'll be spending time with my niece and my children.  And, I'll be knee deep in October sky!  

Happy Fall Break Reading!
RC 

No comments:

Post a Comment