Search This Blog

Monday, October 13, 2014

The One Where the Kid Nearly Jumps to His Death and Lands in California

Well, that didn't take long!  In my earlier post from today, I proclaimed that I was waiting for my next student recommendation and within the hour it arrived.  One of my 8th grade boys, who is a reluctant reader, turned this book in and declared that although it was in bad shape physically, it deserves to be repaired and kept in the collection.  Okay.  A book this kid likes has to either have mature content or it must be fabulously written to keep his attention throughout.  lol

So I'm going to read it next.  It's worth having the conversation with him.  This is not a new book, but it did catch his attention...I'm sure it was the giant title and the fact that the word "death" was in it.  lol

Middle school kids are so much fun to work with.  They aren't all trying to discover who they are, some of them already know.  And they're not ashamed to share that with you.  This student is no different.  He will abandon a book quickly if it doesn't catch his attention, so this book must jump right into the action, pun intended.  :)

From what I can tell from the blurb, this story is about a boy whose parents are divorced.  He was in a traumatic accident a few years ago and had to have his leg amputated.  He's moving to spend time with his father and the relationship between them will be explored.  Also, it's apparent the boy is self-conscious of his artificial leg because he calls himself "Stump".  Therefore, I'm assuming bullying will be a topic for discussion.  

Looking forward to getting to this next.  And of course, discussing it with my student.  If the book is good enough, I'll order another copy because ours is falling apart!  It's literally held together with tape.  If not, I'll discard it and move on.  However, I have a sneaky suspicion that this one will be a keeper.  

Happy Reading!
RC

1 comment:

  1. This book is WONDERFUL! However, I have cataloged it as "restricted" for our more mature readers.

    ReplyDelete