Search This Blog

Thursday, May 21, 2015

No More Dead Dogs

Although I had to cancel the May Book Breakfast due to other school-wide end-of-the-year activities, I know that by simply having this Gordon Korman title on the list was a benefit to my students because at one time this year, every single copy of this hilarious book was checked out.  That's quite the accomplishment considering the classroom set of 30 sat in the book storage room for 8 years and was never touched.  I was even able to overhear students recommending it to each other.  And with good reason.  No More Dead Dogs is the story of a football player who finds himself immersed in the drama club as he serves detention for not writing a positive book review for Old Shep, My Pal...his English teacher's favorite book.  Not only does Wallace Wallace (yes, that's his name) spend a lot of time with the drama club practicing the play for Old Shep, My Pal, he finds himself making suggestions and eventually directing the play.  This book offers students lots of laughs and as is typical of most Korman books, it's appropriate for both boys and girls.  The format includes chapters told from various points of view.  Many of my students seem to like that about books lately.  I'd recommend this book to students who say they don't like to read.  :)

Happy Reading!
RC


 

No comments:

Post a Comment