Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Summer reading has begun!


 Although I am not on summer break just yet, summer reading has begun at my house!  I've fulfilled reading requirements at work, so I'm free to choose what I'd like to read and I choose to read from the tall stack of books which has been taunting me for years!  The first title I grabbed this past Memorial Day weekend was NOT an older title, but one I had been introduced to this past Fall as I noticed the Lifetime mini-series came and went without me having my hands on The Red Tent by Anita Diamant.  Oh my.  Let me just say that if you are a woman, you need to read this asap.  There were moments when I just put the book down and went, "oh my".  Aloud.  With no one there to ask me about it.  It's that good.  This book tells the Biblical story of Jacob and his 4 wives, 12 sons and 1 daughter (who is usually forgotten) through the eyes of women.  The author has written many Jewish books and I trust that she has done her Biblical and historical homework as she tells this story with vivid detail.  Especially the significance the red tent played in this culture.  I love the feminine descriptions.  I love the feminine point of view.  I love this book so much I put it away for safekeeping so that when my daughter leaves, she can take this book with her.  Oh my...

The next book I grabbed is The Other Queen by Philippa Gregory.  She tells a Tudor story like no other.  I'm enjoying learning more about Mary, Queen of Scots and her time spent in England as Queen Elizabeth's "guest".  I watch the CW series, Reign, set in France during the time of Queen Mary and Francis's marriage, but I never knew what happened afterward.  Now, I'll be prepared for next season when Mary and Francis's year of marriage is about over.  If you are the least bit interested in the Tudor Dynasty, pick up any of Gregory's books.  You'll be entertained and educated.  

Happy Reading!
RC

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete