Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Finished The Poisonwood Bible


Finally finished The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. For those of you who haven't read any of my earlier posts, the premise of the book is this:  1960s minister takes his family of 5 into the South African Congo to bring salvation to the natives.  What they find, however, is not what they expected and they soon find themselves entangled in the African village culture.  An epic story, this tale follows the family as they grow up in Africa during a time of revolution.  There is no way to adequately explain how this book can touch a reader.  I ran to the computer when a mere 30 pages from the ending...I just had to see what some of these historical figures looked like.  I had to read about what really happened in Congo/Zaire in the 60s and since.  I knew that it would bring the characters to life even more and I wanted as much of this book as I could possibly get.  I suppose you could say I was postponing the eventual end of the book.  As I looked at the images and articles, I was brought to tears and decided that instead of telling you just how good this book is and how it touched me, I'd share with you the pictures and let you share in the experience with me.  (I apologize for the order of the pictures...the blog program would not cooperate.)










                                                                                                                        





















































This is the setting for The Poisonwood Bible.  Formerly known as The Congo, it is now called Zaire.
This is the way village women transport objects in the book.  Amazing.  

After being forced to move out of their villages, many Africans lived in refugee camps.  This is what a home looks like in a refugee camp.

I hate that this picture is sideways, but I had to include it!  In the book, many of the women are topless.  Apparently, this woman who posed for Life's camera was either modest or made to feel that way.  Hmmm...

I was drawn to this picture because of the home in the background.

Prostitution is a big problem for Zaire today.  In the late 1980s, women had few ways to provide for their families.  Young girls are "forced" to prostitute themselves to help support the family.

Beautiful picture of the traditional African dress.  Look at those bundles on their heads!!!

This is fu fu, a food that keeps many villagers alive.  Full of carbs.  Seasoned with whatever's available.

Workers in a gold mine.  Belgium exploited Africans for diamonds and gold.

Missionary children.  I thought the picture contrasted sharply with the images I found of Congol

Lumumba  (He was the preferred candidate for Congo leadership.)

Many of these villages and cities were in the book.


Mubotu.  Dictator.  Ruined the Congo.

One of the characters in the book had sacramental scarring.  Wonder if this is what he looked like?

What a beautiful child.  Those eyes.

Mubotu.  Well dressed.  Clean.  Full stomach.  Disease-free (probably).  So unlike the Congolese people.

Many of the early revolutionaries were barely old enough to hunt, let alone fight with a weapon.  How old does this boy look to you?
Belgians fleeing the Congo once Lumumba took over.  Their exploitation had lasted too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment