Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Son of the Mob

Son of the Mob...a fun read.  Gordon Korman succeeds in entertaining one of the literary world's most reluctant group of readers...high school boys.  Although intended for a more mature audience, I've decided to shelve this book in our restricted collection and leave it on the Fall Book Frenzy List to attract that elusive animal, the 8th grade male reader.   

Because I'm incredibly tired and my brain is fried from a long day of work, AND because this book is not meant to elicit deep thoughts but simply to entertain, I'll let the book publisher explain...
Here's the blurb from the back of the book:
"Vince Luca is just like any other high school guy.  His best friend, Alex, is trying to score vicariously through him; his brother is a giant pain; and his father keeps bugging him to get motivated.  There is just one thing that really sets him apart from other kids--his father happens to be the head of a powerful crime organization.  Needless to say, Vince's family's connections can put a serious crimp in his dating life.  How is he supposed to explain to a girl what his father does for a living?  But when Vince finally meets a girl who seems to be worth the trouble, her family turns out to be the biggest problem of all.  Because her father is an FBI agent -- the one who wants to put Vince's father away for good."

Son of the Mob is not a new release.  Included with our young adult book fair collection, I first took notice of this and one other Korman title (which will be reviewed later).  So I pulled copies and trusted the author my kids love to read.  Success!  And, LT and her husband both (I think) read this book and highly recommended it to me.  I honestly enjoyed it.  It's a quick read, but one the kids will love.  And there's a sequel...kids love that!  Korman really knows how to write what kids like to read.  Know a 7th or 8th grade boy who says he doesn't like to read?  Give him this book.

My 13th book for the year will be Stolen, by Lucy Christopher.  It isn't on the Fall Book Frenzy List, but it looked too good to not read right away.  I'll let you know.

Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment