Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

I finished this book in 1 day...no lie!

What an amazing amount of reading time I had this past weekend!  After taking my baby girl to the doctor for an ear infection, I sat and held her in my lap and (don't tell her this part) propped the book up on her back.  Why would I spend my free time reading this book when there's obviously a lot of disinfecting to do at my house?  Well,  as any avid reader knows,  it's important to take every reading opportunity.  Now you know that I took precious time to read the book...let me fill you in on the reason!

Fibble, the fourth book in a series by Dale E. Bayse, is a book full of sarcasm, puns, allusions and humor.  I couldn't help laughing out loud as I read about Marlo and Milton Fauster's adventures in the afterlife.  You see, Fibble is a location in Heck, where the bad kids go.  Those kids who lie get to spend eternity covered in shirts made of "little white lice" that feed off of their fibs.  The vice-principal of Fibble is the infamous P.T. Barnum, ringmaster for the "greatest show on earth", the circus.  He's such a liar, that his pants are continuously on fire!  One of the many internal conflicts the characters deal with is whether or  not it's ALWAYS a good idea to tell the truth.  Haven't you ever told a little white lie to spare someone's feelings?  By the end of the book, not even the author has resolved this conflict! 

As in all the other books in this series, good overcomes evil and we're left with the foreshadowing of more adventures to come.  The next book is due out in May and it's called, Snivel.  Apparently, this location in Heck is reserved for whiny kids!  I'm predicting that book will get on my nerves as I cannot stand whining!

As with many other titles in our library's restricted collection, this book is not for anyone who doesn't understand dark humor or who wouldn't be mature enough to catch the pop culture references.  (If you don't know what that means, then that's a pretty good indication this series is too mature for you.)

Always preview a book carefully before checking it out...books are like snowflakes, no two are alike!

Happy Reading! (And always tell the truth!)
RC





 

No comments:

Post a Comment