Search This Blog

Monday, June 11, 2012

Books #11 and 12 finished!

Finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King while on vacation in Florida.  I would have preferred not to have to take that huge book onto the beach, but I refused to stop reading it...it was so amazing!  And although I enjoyed the "monster-free" King novel,  (I mean, technically, the "past" could be considered a character.) I learned so much American history about the south during the late 1950s and early 1960s.  Among lots of info about JFK's assassination, I learned that Jackie carrying these red roses, in the picture above, was significant.  Conspiracy theorists say that she received these red roses as a dark omen of the bloodshed to come on that fateful day in Dallas.  She had received yellow roses at every other stop that year.  Hmmm......

Let me conclude this part of the post by saying that I highly recommend this King novel.  I respect his story-telling craft and appreciated the research he obviously did in preparation for this novel.  Plus, the main character's love interest was a librarian!  Gotta love that!  

The movie is slated to be released in 2013.  I will definitely be attending!

 Now onto the next read...The Hypnotist by Lars Kepler.  Awesome murder mystery!  I'm so excited that LT loaned me this book.  It truly is "methadone for Steig Larsson fans"!  The plot twists and it turns and is so intriguing and mind-blowing that I had to pause after each chapter to absorb what I'd read!  We teach kids to do that all of the time...this book requires it!  Whew!  Would make an awesome movie!  You'll never guess the ending.  I shared most of it out loud with my husband as we drove home from Florida.   Finished it within 24 hours.  I've discovered that this husband/wife writing team plan an 8 book series featuring the detective Joona Linna.  It's already a Swedish television series.  The cast is pictured below.  The next book in the series, available to the US, is shown below as well.
Swedish television series actors for Joona Linna (left) and Erik Maria Bark (right).

Swedish actress who plays Erik's wife, Simone.
Book 2

Happy Summer Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment