Search This Blog

Monday, October 7, 2013

Gameboard of the Gods

Earlier this past summer, I was so excited to read the review for Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead in Entertainment Weekly magazine.  Although I'd never read anything by her before, it sounded like a book my 7th and 8th grade girls would absolutely love. I knew several of them were fans of her Vampire Academy series, so I felt confident in this purchase.  I was wrong.  Sadly, there's too much mature content for even our restricted collection.  I do have, however, a few adult readers at school that may enjoy this story and so have passed it on to one of them instead.  I am disappointed that I couldn't introduced my readers to a new series.  Wow.  What makes an author feel the need to incorporate such mature content into a young adult read?  After having worked with middle school students for over 17 years, I can tell you that the shock of mature language is nothing but a distraction for them.  We've taught them to read over them and to replace those naughty words with appropriate words.  And as for the sexual content?  Well, let's just say that not all middle school students are sexually active nor sexually curious, so you're wasting your time.  We've taught them to skip those parts as well.  And we've also taught them that an author who relies upon language or sex to sell their books isn't an author to value.  I'm not directly attacking Mead, but I am speaking from experience.  I would gladly tell young adult authors to save their time and talents trying to shock this generation.  They've seen it all and heard it all.  And for those students who haven't?  We steer them away from your books.  

Normally, I would never bash a book.  As an adult reader, I can see the value in this story.  I just wish she'd taken the high road, like Stephenie Meyer, and understood that her fans will read anything she publishes.  And as you can tell from the cover, fans of Vampire Academy were the targeted audience.

Such a shame.
Keep Reading folks!  And don't be surprised when an author disappoints.
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment