Search This Blog

Monday, October 7, 2013

Light

Fall Break reading has never been so fun!  I enjoyed the last book in Michael Grant's Gone Series, Light, so much!  What a wacky way to start the week!  Mutant whip hands, lizard girls, talking coyotes...

Unfortunately,  I will have to keep this one in the restricted collection.  You see, it's the final book in the 6 book series and these teenagers have been stuck inside a barrier for nearly a year...some of them were bound to think like adults eventually.  I don't blame the author for including some mature content; in fact, I think it's appropriate for the plot.  I just wish he hadn't been so graphic in the telling. 

If you've never heard of this series, you should invest some time and at least Google it.  It's pure science fiction for young adults.  Creative.  Ahead of it's time.  Very Stephen King-like.  In fact, King's reviews of this series are fabulous.  I'm wondering if he was inspired to write The Dome after reading the first book?  Who knows?  Who cares?  Middle school kiddos love this series and I'm happy to say I've read them all.  Got a kid who wants to read Stephen King?  Give him this series.

But if you're worried about the mature content, just imagine what teenagers would do if there were no adults.  No rules.  No boundaries.  No help.  Wouldn't they begin to act like adults?  With that much responsibility, they'd begin to take on some of the privileges as well...whether they were physically old enough to or not.  Makes me wonder about the actions and attitudes of some of my students who I KNOW have to make adult decisions at home.  Where will the food come from?  How will I get to school?  No wonder they take on adult attitudes when we correct them.  I probably would too.  How to avoid it?  Well, there's probably no way to...unless you want a meteorite hitting a nuclear power plant and mixing with human DNA to eventually mutate humans in the vicinity and for an autistic 4 year-old to create an impenetrable barrier around your town.  Um...no.  Let's just let adults act like adults and let kids be kids and pray.  :)


Happy Fall Break Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment