Search This Blog

Monday, October 7, 2013

The Last Dog on Earth

I have listened for years as my students encourage me to read The Last Dog on Earth by Daniel Ehrenhaft.  I simply haven't had time and honestly, it's not a book I needed to read because they were already crazy about it!  My job is to find the next favorite read!  To read the books they don't find attractive.

But this school year has brought with it many more opportunities to have small book breakfasts with students during school and they are wildly successful.  I decided to hold one book breakfast each month, with the exception of October and February, which are Book Frenzy months.  Since I knew several students had already read this book, I decided that this title would be our November read.  

And no surprise... I loved it.  It's the perfect read for boys.  Especially boys who don't fit in.  Who bully.  Who feel like they're destined for nothing.  ALC.  Juvie.  Jail?  Yes.  The main character is tragically flawed.  Tortured.  He's not happy, to say the least.  Does poorly in school.  Has a stepfather he'd rather smack than talk to.  Doesn't respect his mother.  Has no clue why his father abandoned him.  He has no hope, really.  Sad.  I've taught kids like him.  Teaching some right now.  I'd love to introduce them to him.  To show them that although this is a science fiction tale about a virus that spreads throughout the Pacific Northwest dog population and threatens human existence, it's more about a young man who finds himself.  His father.  His purpose in life.  He learns what it means to care about others and about himself.  

And it's a short read.  Finished it in two days.

If you have a young man you'd like to be able to reach without saying much to him...because they often ignore us (they've heard it all before)...then introduce them to this book.  Believe me, they'll get it.  If they'll just read it.  

Kudos to this author for writing the difficult story.  The real story.  It's what our middle schoolers embrace.  Love.
 
Looking forward to this book breakfast!
Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment