Search This Blog

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Operation Oleander

Currently reading Operation Oleander, a young adult book that I came across some time ago and neglected to put in my reading stack.  Once I rediscovered it, I snatched it up and then waited to read it because other, more exciting books (to me) were released.  Having read nine chapters, I can say that not only would many of my students enjoy this book, I'd like to use it next year for book breakfasts and/or book frenzy.  


Jess, the main character, lives on a military base in Florida with her parents and little sister.  Jess has two best friends, Meriweather and Sam, who also have parents in the military.  So far, I know that they have created a mission to help an orphanage in Kabul, Afghanistan where their parents are stationed.  They sit every morning in the summer, at the PX, collecting donations and supplies for the children.  They mail care packages and communicate with their parents via email as much as possible.  The only other thing I know about them is that they worry a lot about their parents.  Not only the soldiers, but the husbands and wives who live on the base and struggle to make ends meet.  I'm learning a lot about how our military families live and the issues they face.  I foresee some tragedy soon...there has to be a conflict.  

Middle school boys who live to read about modern war will appreciate the setting and the facts presented throughout about how modern military families cope during war time.  Middle school girls will appreciate the narration and point of view.  They'll consider this a page turner.  

We're still on break for snow...and I'm not getting as much reading done as I thought I would.  I interjected a few Jane Austen novels spontaneously into my lineup.  I love Northanger Abbey and since Lady Susan is coming to the big screen in 2015, I had to reread that!  

Happy Reading...no matter what it is.
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment