Search This Blog

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Paperboy

You don't want to miss reading Paperboy by Vince Vawter.  I'm 
happy to have it on the KBA list for next year and excited to hear my students' thoughts.  Although I had not read this piece of historical fiction, I trusted a panel member who was passionate about it...when I see that passion, I understand.  This Kentucky lms was excited to share her experience reading it!  She reminded me of several reading teachers here who "own" the stories once they're read them and want to share them with as many people as soon as possible.  It's a natural response to an amazing book.  To me, it felt like she was sharing news about one of her children or grandchildren.  So, naturally I listened intently and voted for it based mostly on her booktalk and then once I learned this book was a 2014 Newbery Honor, I realized we had made a good choice.  I was also passionate about several of the books on the KBA list, but more on that later....

Here's the blurb as it appears on the Newbery Medal web page through ALA... 

"Little Man, a sensitive and resilient 11-year-old boy who stutters, ventures beyond the familiar and finds his voice while taking over his best friend’s paper route. Set in the summer heat of 1959 Memphis, “Paperboy” is a moving coming-of-age novel."

I love the setting.  I love the character's struggle.  I love the author's craft.  I love how it takes me back to the summer I read The Help.  My favorite passage so far is on page 154.  "Mrs. Worthington and her red hair.  That was the dessert of my thinking."   Love it!  I'm gonna use that one in casual conversation!  And of course, you have to read the book to know who Mrs. Worthington is and why her red hair is so enjoyable for Little Man to think about.  And yes, that's his nickname.  I'm still anxiously awaiting his real name.  I'm going to predict that it is either the author's name or something similar.  I haven't peeked, but I am picking up the context clues as the author drops them and I know the name is impossible for him to say without stuttering horribly.  I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that I'm guessing this story is somewhat autobiographical.  Which is nice.  Nothing like reading a story from the point of view from someone who lived it.  

This book has been the "dessert of my thinking" all day.  Gotta get back to it!

Happy Reading!
RC 

No comments:

Post a Comment