Search This Blog

Saturday, June 7, 2014

Pursued

My son didn't want a 16th birthday party.  He didn't want a lot of fuss or attention thrown his way.  He's very much like his momma and for that, I'm proud.  The spotlight isn't the greatest or most comfortable place to live and he's already figured that out.  So instead, I rented a van and took him and two of his friends to a local theme park.  They had a great day and the weather cooperated.  Since all teenagers really like to be taken care of and mothered without acknowledging any such love or attention, I stationed myself in one location so they could check in to home base periodically.  They checked in more than I expected.  I loved it.  Although I really wanted to start another novel, I decided to take with me Pursued by Jud Wilhite.  It's nonfiction and easy to pick up and put down.  Good to read when you could be distracted all day.  Which I was.  In addition to my little crew that kept flying back to the nest all day, I was entertained by the sweet faces and sounds of many children.  I sat by the baby pool and watched as children with Downs splashed and giggled and smiled.  There was a get-together of families with Down Syndrome kiddos and a "Buddy Walk".  They were gathered together at Holiday World and I'm thankful to have been there with them on that day.  I  thoroughly enjoyed watching as their parents relaxed just a little bit and appeared to glow with pure joy as their babies had the times of their lives.  And so every now and then, I'd look up from my book, ponder the passage I'd just read about God's love for me and see a prime example of His love for others as well.

From this book, so far I've been reminded that God has been pursuing mankind since the Garden.  He went looking for Adam and Eve, he pursued them.  He wanted to spend time with them.  He needed them to listen.  I have learned so much from the case studies provided in the book...women who have burnt out on church activities...men who've been hurt by church gossip...families who have been neglected because of a man or woman's desire to serve.  God doesn't ask us to constantly search him.  He asks us to be still.  To listen.  To stop.  So we can hear Him.

I've been in church all my life.  Have served faithfully.  But now I am tired.  I've served and taught.  I realize I've needed to balance that serving and teaching with being served and learning because that's why we go to church in the first place...to worship, to serve, to learn, to grow.  This book has helped show me so far that I can stop and "let God catch up with me", in so many words.  My quiet time with God is something I cherish.  I love to just sit out on my patio or in my sunroom to be still.  I've learned to protect that time with Him fiercely.  Guard against anything and anyone who might try to interrupt my time with God.

I could have read this book in one day.  It's an enjoyable read.  The author and I connected immediately and I think his words would speak to many of my Christian friends today...and some friends who have been hurt by the church and refuse to return.  Here's what Jud Wilhite has to say about his book.  This is copied from his website, www.judwilhite.com

 "Christian faith isn’t blind obedience to a set of rules and regulations; it is entering into a relationship with a God who pursues us-not to punish, but to love. As the leader of Central Christian Church in the self-proclaimed “Sin City, U.S.A.,” Jud Wilhite has seen it all, and he knows that no matter how far someone has strayed from God, God always remains in passionate pursuit. Using the biblical prophet Hosea’s marriage, commanded by God, to an unfaithful prostitute as a metaphor for God’s unwavering love, PURSUED compellingly illustrates God’s plan for every person-to be freed to become his or her own unique self through intimate togetherness with the living, loving God."

Tell me honestly that you or someone you know couldn't use this book.  
Thankful to my bff LT for recommending that I not only read this book, but to purchase it to keep forever.  Now I understand why.  

Happy Reading!
RC 


No comments:

Post a Comment