Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

May Bell's Daughter

This is the last book my dearly departed Sunday School teacher, mentor and friend, JoAnne, loaned me.  She gave it to me right after her son died a horribly painful death from cancer.  She knew the value in a lesson learned instead of a lesson taught.  She knew that at some point, I'd find the answers to all those questions I asked her every Sunday.  :)  By loaning me this book, she knew I'd find the answer to why people suffer.  

May Bell's Daughter, which is Eva Whittington Self's life story, 
is written by Lisa Harper.  Through it, Eva describes her childhood growing up in North Carolina.  Her parents, her siblings, her teenage years.  Her tragic automobile accident which left her paralyzed.  And her question to God...why?  But most importantly, how she lived after the accident.  How she turned a crisis into a blessing.

I highly recommend this book to readers of all ages.  It's a quick, insightful read that will make you think.  It will make you question what you truly believe about the tragic events that have happened in not only your life, but the lives of others.  

Apparently, Eva visited a local church some years back and gave her testimony.  I wish I could have heard that.  Perhaps that's where JoAnne picked up her autographed copy.  I'll be returning this book to her family soon.  My hope is that they continue to loan it out to others...that's what their librarian mother/mother-in-law/grandmother would have done.  

According to the author info, Eva lives in Hopkinsville.  Maybe one day I'll get to meet her. And I'll tell her how JoAnne shared her story with me. 
 
Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment