Search This Blog

Friday, November 7, 2014

Bearstone

 Our November book breakfast title is Bearstone, by Will Hobbs.  I can't describe the attention this book has received so far this school year.  Kids are talking about it in almost every class.  As with all book breakfast titles, this story is one I hadn't read and am reading this month along with my students.  Since it's a short read, my students are already finishing and spreading the word about what a fantastic book it is!  I'm currently on chapter 16 and can see the appeal for boys.  I'm also taking lots of notes on the Native American Ute Tribe and thinking about adding a clay fetish craft to our donut discussion.  :) 

What's so appealing about this story so far?  Well, it's the story of Cloyd, a fourteen-year-old Ute boy whose mother died at birth and who's father ran away shortly after.  He's been raised with his sister by his grandmother.  He's been rebellious and defiant for so long that he's never learned to read.  He's angry and expresses his frustration in physical ways...he runs away, he destroys property, etc...  I'm sad to say that many of our students can relate.  Not often do I work with a student who has a solid, functional family.  Not often do I work with students who feel safe, loved and nurtured.  Many of our students are raising themselves.  Literally.  It's a terrible reality and we've done as much as we can do and continue to provide them with what we can daily.  However, some pain is permanent and like Cloyd, students spend years struggling with it.  I'm happy to read that Cloyd has a strong adult male mentor in his life.  Walter is a likeable character, the grandfather figure Cloyd has never known.  Looking forward to finishing and discussing this book with my students.  We have a full table for this breakfast and one or two students who have earned the privilege to pull up a chair with us.  

This is a fantastic read for upper elementary and middle school boys.

Happy Reading!
RC




No comments:

Post a Comment