Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The Journey Back

Finding myself in between books this morning and as I looked around the library for something to read that the kids have always liked and that I hadn't read yet, my eyes were drawn to the sequel to Red Kayak.  Numerous readers, both student and adult, have praised The Journey Back for being "even better than the first!"  That's rare.  So I'm going to give it a read!  This is apparently the continuation of the character, Digger and his life after juvenile detention.  In the first book, Digger and his friends make a really bad decision and must pay the consequences for it.  This idea to continue one of the character's story reminds me of what Louis Sachar did with Small Steps, the sequel to Holes.  I'm looking forward to learning whether or not Digger has learned his lesson, what his new conflict might be and how he decides to resolve it. 

And of course, any book that a student can seriously recommend to me and provide evidence for it's quality is a must-read for me.  I encourage all readers, regardless of age, to pick up Red Kayak.  It's an amazing, award-winning book that has stood the test of time here at our middle school.  It's read by various grades and assorted reading leveled classes.  It's a timeless tale that holds it's value.  I consider it a new classic.  Don't think I'm exaggerating when I say it has as much appeal to boys as Mark Twain's Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huck Finn. 

Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment