Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Uglies

For years I've watched as Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series checked in and out of our school library on a regular basis.  I've reordered the series a few times due to loose bindings, ripped covers, missing pages, excessive use, etc.... I've listened to numerous booktalks and conversations between students and teachers about this sci-fi series.  I've even led a few reluctant readers to the series, simply telling them what I've heard about the books.  But never had I read one until this past weekend.  Oh my goodness, I'm hooked!

In the future, society has made improvements that ensure fairness and the preservation of civilization.  Or, at least that's what the government has told the citizens.  (Again, we have a dystopian novel that will definitely hold a reader's attention.  And, we have a strong female protagonist who struggles to save humanity from a fate worse than death.)  Tally, the sixteen year old protagonist, lives in Uglyville and is considered an Ugly.  That is, she's not quite old enough to have the surgery all sixteen year olds have that turn them into a Pretty and change their lives forever.  There's nothing "wrong" with being an ugly unless you live in their world.  Uglies are born ugly and remain that way until the surgery which shapes their bones and resurfaces their skin to make them more symmetrically attractive.  But not only do their physical features change, their personalities do as well.  They become silly, happy, simple-minded do-nothings!  They sleep late, party all night and drink excessively.  They have no responsibilities and are expected to live life to it's fullest and in it's excess!  Caviar and champagne are the breakfasts of choice!  It's a dream for an Ugly to become a Pretty, but not all people feel that way and Tally meets someone at the last minute who has a huge influence on her decision to become a Pretty.  

No spoiler alerts here, but I'll say that I was as tempted to do nothing and simply read as the Pretties are to party.  :)


I'm on the second book now, Pretties, and I can't put it down. There are two additional books, Specials and Extras.  Plus, Westerfeld published a companion handbook called Bogus to Bubbly, which helps you navigate their world.   It's an adventure and makes me wanna add a hoverboard to my Christmas list!!

Happy Reading!
RC

1 comment:

  1. Since we had a very unseasonal snow day yesterday, I finished Specials. Read the Extras preview and am not interested at this time in reading it...I connected to the characters, not the world Westerfeld created and I feel like since this book takes place in the future and new characters are introduced, I would be better serving my patrons to move on to something different. I believe kids will love it though. My age just gets in the way sometime of enjoying young adult literature. :'(

    ReplyDelete