Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Maze Runner


My newest literary obsession is with James Dashner's The Maze Runner Trilogy...oh my goodness, what a great read!  I'm completely drawn into the story and it's definitely one of those books that has a life of it's own.  (When I'm not reading it, I'm wondering what the characters are doing...I'm not psychotic, it's just good writing on Dashner's part!) The last time I felt this excited about a series, I had just finished Suzanne Collins' The Hunger Games Trilogy and was absorbing everything written by her that I could get my hands on.  So I read all of the books in the Gregor the Overlander Series, and then found myself craving more.  Okay, so enough gushing about this book...here are some interesting facts and enough info that hopefully you'll be hooked!  Is it a coincidence that this book received the 2011 Kentucky Bluegrass Award for high school?  No, I think not.  If Kentucky's high school teenagers loved it enough to vote, don't you know my middle school kids are gonna want to read it?  You got that right!

What's this book about?   Here's an excellent synopsis from the official website.  I'm too excited to write my own...afraid I'll leave something out! 

"When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind."
.
First of all, this is a book for boys...any boy.  But especially those boys who love gross descriptions, scary plot lines, rough-talkin' characters, male-bonding scenes, etc... Even your boys who say they hate reading will love sharing this book.  This is definitely a book you'll want them to lean over the aisle with and say, "Hey, check this out!" Normally, I discourage students from sharing the gross bits because it can show immaturity, but not this time.  I'M SHARING THE GROSS BITS!  Enthusiasm for reading is contagious.  What a better side effect from sharing a book full of fantastic writing techniques than enthusiasm?


Secondly, the book is being made into a movie.  Catherine Hardwicke (yes, the Twilight director) has signed on the direct the first movie and it's slated for release in 2012.  I absolutely cannot wait.  The cast of characters will bring to the big screen lots of young male actors who have an opportunity to steal the spotlight from the Cullen Vamps, Bella and Jacob.  I'm serious.  The Hunger Games movie will come out before The Maze Runner, and it's a good thing because I'm not so sure Collins' story beats Dashner's. (I can't believe I typed that sentence!)  But isn't it a great trend that young adult books have caught on and so many movies are being made?  Kids are reading more than ever!


To see an award-winning book trailer, go to this movie trailer link. 
Random House rewarded this fan with the Kirkus 2009 Book Video Award .


To read James Dashner's blog, go to his blog
This is where you'll find accurate information on the book/movie.

To visit the Maze Runner website, go to the Random House Site. 
Spoiler Alert!:  This site may reveal more about the first book than you're ready for! So, visit AFTER reading the first.

Here are the three covers, just in case you're ready to run out and find these books...
Book 1

Book 2

Book 3- to be released in 71 days!



To listen to a clip from the audio version, click here!

Gotta get back to the book...only a few more chapters and I'm ready for The Scorch Trials.
Now, if the laundry fairy would come I'd be able to finish faster!  LOL

Happy Reading!
RC 

No comments:

Post a Comment