Search This Blog

Monday, August 15, 2011

QR Codes

QR Codes...What are they?  Why would I need to know?  QR (short for Quick Response) is a new way of communicating information efficiently.  I'm sure you've seen them...the code to the right happens to be the code for the URL for this blog!  I plan on creating bookmarks for our middle school library with this code and an advertisement for the blog!  Can't say it was an original idea...one of my librarian peers from somewhere in KY shared it with the listserve.  But I love it!  Kids are always looking for the newest technology and we've got to keep up in this library!

For those of you who don't know how to use QR codes, here are some simple instructions for use with an iPhone or iPad.

1.  Using an iPhone or iPad, visit the App Store and download a QR Reader.
2.  Use the app to scan any QR code you find. (They're everywhere!)
3.  Your phone should then either take you to a website, show you a document or share a picture. 
4.  The app I have on my phone gives you lots of options once you have scanned the code successfully.  I'm not really sure how useful these codes are yet, but they're lots of fun.

If you'd like to generate your own code, there are lots of good generators on the web.  Just Google "QR generators" and have fun.  I squealed out loud when mine worked!!!

And for those of you who already knew all about QR codes, here's one to scan.
Happy Reading! (and scanning)
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment