Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Getting out of the pit...finally.

This may be the most important, life-changing book I read this year.  Perhaps, ever.  Summer reading is coming to an end.  The students return next week and I'll return to reading what they're reading or might want to read.  And I'll love every minute of it, but first I have some personal work to do.  

This too, is an adult book.  Nonfiction.  Self-help.  Spiritual.  I've completed several Beth Moore Bible Studies at church and on my own at home.  I've seen this book several times at LifeWay and almost bought it each time.  But I wasn't ready.  In May, as I was purchasing graduation Bibles for our church, I noticed this book on the endcap.  I picked it up.  Determined to finally purchase it for myself.  To my surprise, this book qualified for BOGO and although I could have chosen a different title, I chose to pick up another copy of Get Out of That Pit in hopes that one of my book buddies hadn't already read it.  I could give it as a gift because I KNOW that we have all been in a pit or that we all will eventually find ourselves in one.  Happily, I discovered that LT hadn't read it but had heard positive reviews.  Tonight, we started reading it together.  Now, I'm not saying that LT is in a pit.  But I am and have been for the past 3 years.  Yes, I'm admitting that for the past 3 years I have battled depression and anxiety and have lost the battle on many occasions.  Where did it come from?  Why did I fall into a pit?  I don't know YET.  And I'll not blog about it because it's personal.  But I did want to post a blog entry about the book in hopes that perhaps someone out there finds themselves stuck.  Lethargic.  Without purpose.  Without focus.  Without future.  Without dreams.  Sounds pathetic for a Christian, right?  Exactly.  And I'm tired of it.  Exhausted.  Tonight, I found an amazing quote on page 34... 

"Nothing demands more elbow grease than thrusting your arms forward and giving God the solitary right to vengeance."



Are there people in my life I need to forgive?  Yes.  Are there people in my life who have used me and hurt me?  Yes.  Is it my fight?  No.  That's the first thought I'm pondering.  It's very liberating.


Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment