Search This Blog

Thursday, July 25, 2013

The Book of Ruth

The Book of Ruth.  Wow.  No wonder this won the Hemingway Award for best debut novel in 1989...this narrative was not only a challenging read emotionally and literally, but it has found a permanent place in my heart.  It made Oprah's Book Club as well and if you've ever read one of those books, you know she (or her staff) chooses only the most controversial, though-provoking, discussion-inspiring books to read.  Not an easy summer read.  Definitely NOT a beach read!  Ha!  It's a narrative.  Told by Ruth.  And if you've ever lived or worked in a rural setting, you've met a "Ruth" and her family before.  Hamilton's words and Ruth's story haunt me.  I often shut the book in exasperation because I felt as if I were being given too much detail...taken down a road that wouldn't produce much of a branch on the story tree.  It took me a much longer time to read this novel than usual.  I would find myself going through my reading ritual (getting the house in good enough order, pouring a cup of coffee or preparing a smoothie, raising the umbrella or pulling out the comfy chair and ottoman...) only to find myself more entertained (distracted really) by Facebook or Instagram or Pinterest.  But really, if I'm honest with myself, I believe I was intimidated by Ruth's story.  I knew there was a day in Ruth's life she was preparing the reader to accept.  And I knew it wouldn't be pretty.  I can't even begin to describe Ruth or her mother other than to say she grew up in Wisconsin, poor, to a mother who was emotionally abusive.  May stunted Ruth and I'm not sure all of Ruth's problems were environmental.  Ruth was slow.  She was destined to live at home forever with her mother.  In her shadow.  And May resented Ruth.  And then along comes Ruby...older, into drugs, but madly in love with Ruth.  

I can't spoil this book for you.  I can only suggest you read it.  Only the most advanced young adults would be able to follow Ruth's story.  It's fragmented, fantastical plot.  So, once again, this adult novel would be best read by adults.  There are just too many subtleties.   I can see how this book would fit nicely into a senior or college class studying social class in America.  

Ruth's story is timeless.  I know, and have known, girls like Ruth and mothers like May.  Even boys and men like Ruby.  After reading Hamilton's novel, I don't understand them any better, but I do feel more informed.  Acquainted.  

*This was recommended to me but I cannot remember by whom!  Found it in the book basket by my bed and knew it would be my next read regardless.  So I sent out a Facebook post asking for endorsements before I read even one word.  A couple of my coworkers read the book and offered their feedback before I read it.  They both stated that they "loved it".  Can't wait to talk to them about it.  
 
Happy Reading...
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment