Search This Blog

Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Last Original Wife


While on an extended weekend excursion with the family, I neglected to take along enough reading material.  I finished an older novel, Pop Goes the Weasel by James Patterson on the drive to Cincinnati and I knew that I would not be able to stand going 3 days without a proper book.  I don't really have that much to say about the Patterson novel, other than it was my first of his adult novels and I found many typical "Pattersonisms" found within his young adult series, such as dialogue patterns, character development, short chapters and an abundance of gruesome detail.  Not all bad...just typical.  Alex Cross is a familiar character to me; I'd seen two movies based on his character already, so I had a mental model to base this character upon.  I found the serial killer's methodology to be unique and give credit to Patterson for an original idea.  I probably won't read anymore of Patterson's adult novels, just because it's not my "thing".  But I would recommend them to other adults who enjoy a good murder mystery and action.  This book would make an amazing movie.  The villain is pure evil and I'm sure movie-goers would be fascinated with how he's "caught".  No spoilers here!

Once I finished that novel, I felt desperate and so I used my social networking connections to garner an additional recommendation to continue on with my summer of suggested adult novels.  An acquaintance recommend anything by Dorothea Benton Frank because she said, "I consider her books good beach reads."  I hadn't really read anything like that this summer, so I found a Target and headed straight for the book section.  The Last Original Wife was the only title they had available.  And it was a fine choice, since it wasn't part of a series.  I enjoyed the author's setting, Charleston, and her homage to Josephine Pinkney, one of Charleston's most rebellious daughters.  The story revolves around Leslie, a 59 year old middle class woman whose husband and adult children take her for granted.  She finds herself to be surrounded by her husband's country club friends and their new "Barbie" wives.  She takes a step back and analyzes her current situation and decides to leave.  The story is sandwiched in between therapy sessions and the chapters bounce between her voice and that of her husband's, Wes.  You'll love her and hate him!  There are plenty of laughs, if you're adult enough to pick up on them...they're subtle.  And, I suppose, you have to be able to connect with Leslie to understand some of the decisions she makes.  If you're a married woman, with children, who has ever stopped to wonder how you "got here", then you'll get it.  :)

So glad to be introduced to two "new" authors.  I'll definitely read another Frank novel.  

Happy Reading!  And try something new!  You might be surprised at how much you like it!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment