Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

November Book Breakfast

 I cannot believe I forgot to blog about the November Book Breakfast held in the library on Friday, November 15th!  Have I really been that busy?  YES.

I had an awesome group of nine kids who enjoyed donuts and whole milk (book reference) while discussing Daniel Ehrenraft's science fiction novel, The Last Dog on Earth.  

I should probably tell you about all the poignant discussion topics and interesting character development epiphanies they had, but I won't.  I was most impressed at the amount of insight they showed to the author's purpose.  They were able to take the story beyond it's pages and apply it to their own experiences.  The students were critical of the author as well, often questioning why he chose to include certain characters or events.  But what blew me out of the water was an idea two of them had...

DJ wanted to show everyone his version of "Jack", the dog from the story.  So we all passed around pictures of our pets.  That started Colton thinking about the Humane Society, where he volunteers sometime on the weekends.  He suggested we take up food and treats for the animals.  What a fabulous idea!  So we agreed as a "reading community" to collect some items for a week, to see what we could get and that I would make sure the items were picked up.  

Pleased to say that not only did we benefit from this experience, but so did some precious animals at the Humane Society.  Kids amaze me daily.  Can't wait until next month when a new group comes together to discuss another book!  

Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment