Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thanksgiving Break Reading Stack

 My Thanksgiving Break plate is full of great books to read!  I'm starting with these four.  Two are young adult novels I've been dying to get to and one is an adult read loaned to me by a fellow reader/educator.  The final one is a women's devotional that I'll read a little every day.  It was a gift from a precious friend for the holiday season.  (What a good idea...give something they can enjoy all season long!  Never thought of that!)  What follows is a quick blurb about each just in case you'd like to join me.  :)

Champion by Marie Lu (taken from GoodReads)
The explosive finale to Marie Lu’s New York Times bestselling LEGEND trilogy—perfect for fans of THE HUNGER GAMES and DIVERGENT!

He is a Legend.
She is a Prodigy.
Who will be Champion?

June and Day have sacrificed so much for the people of the Republic—and each other—and now their country is on the brink of a new existence. June is back in the good graces of the Republic, working within the government’s elite circles as Princeps Elect while Day has been assigned a high level military position. But neither could have predicted the circumstances that will reunite them once again. Just when a peace treaty is imminent, a plague outbreak causes panic in the Colonies, and war threatens the Republic’s border cities. This new strain of plague is deadlier than ever, and June is the only one who knows the key to her country’s defense. But saving the lives of thousands will mean asking the one she loves to give up everything he has. With heart-pounding action and suspense, Marie Lu’s bestselling trilogy draws to a stunning conclusion.


 Divergent by Veronica Roth (taken from the blog, Book Monkey)

In sixteen-year-old Beatrice Prior’s world, society is divided into five factions – Abnegation (the selfless), Candor (the honest), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent) – each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue, in the attempt to form a “perfect society.” At the age of sixteen, teens must choose the faction to which they will devote their lives.
On her Choosing Day, Beatrice renames herself Tris, rejects her family’s group, and chooses another faction. After surviving a brutal initiation, Tris finds romance with a super-hot boy, but also discovers unrest and growing conflict in their seemingly “perfect society.” To survive and save those they love, they must use their strengths to uncover the truths about their identities, their families, and the order of their society itself.

 The Ocean at The End of The Lane by Neil Gaiman (taken from the website, The Book Depository)
THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE is a fable that reshapes modern fantasy: moving, terrifying and elegiac - as pure as a dream, as delicate as a butterfly's wing, as dangerous as a knife in the dark - from storytelling genius Neil Gaiman. It began for our narrator forty years ago when the family lodger stole their car and committed suicide in it, stirring up ancient powers best left undisturbed. Dark creatures from beyond this world are on the loose, and it will take everything our narrator has just to stay alive: there is primal horror here, and menace unleashed - within his family and from the forces that have gathered to destroy it. His only defense is three women, on a farm at the end of the lane. The youngest of them claims that her duckpond is an ocean. The oldest can remember the Big Bang.


I'd love to know what you're planning to read next!  Feel free to share with me in the comments section!

Happy Turkey Day Reading!
Above all, be thankful...
RC

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Mrs. Coombs! It's Paige Stewart(: I came across your book blog today after I finished Divergent. I just wanted to see what you said about it. I MISS YOU LIKE CRAZY WOMAN. High school is going great, I love it & all-- I mean most of my teachers. Well anyways. I wanted to give you a recommendation & I didn't know which of these to comment it on. But I'm not sure if you have heard of this. You probably have. The book-- this AMAZING book that's in the process of changing my world-- is called Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi. She's the wife of the author of Miss Peregrine's House of Peculiar Children or something of that sort. But this book, Mrs. Coombs. It's so great. So so so so so great. I don't want to say a single thing about it or I feel like I would ruin the experience. Just pick it up, and you will be glued to it. I'm in the uhh.. maybe third quarter of the second book, Unravel Me. OHMYGOODNESS. I'm getting excited just writing the title. I love love love it. So many twists and turns. INTENSE moments that will have you feeling as if you're on the edge of a cliff. If that makes any sense. Just pleeeease read it when you get the chance. You will not regret it.
    & ALSO, I'm glad to see that the Winter Book Frenzy is arriving soon, I thought I was too late to ask.. Buuuut, do you think maybe just maybe I could help out in some way, whichever way you might want me to? Because I miss everything sooo much. Just please, maybe email me?
    @baigeypoo@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Paige! So excited to hear from you! I'm glad you are enjoying high school and I'm thrilled to see that you continue to read for pleasure. Yay! Thank you for the book recommendation. No, I have not read it. But I will definitely look into it! I trust you as a reader, so I will take your word for it.
      Yes, Winter Book Frenzy is rapidly approaching. I would love to have your help. I'll send you an email with details. Thank you for offering! Keep reading! The library is just not the same without you!

      Delete