Search This Blog

Monday, May 12, 2014

The Fault in Our Stars

Finally found time to read the most popular book in the world right now, John Green's The Fault in Our Stars.   And may I say that although I cried like it was personal, this was not my most favorite book of the year.  I completely understand why my teenage readers adore this book... it contains everything they're looking for!  I won't ruin the story by commenting on which parts brought about the most wailing for me, but I will say that I haven't had an emotional reaction to a book in this manner since Albus Dumbledore's funeral.  

Since the movie's being released in just a few weeks, I do encourage my students to get it read quickly, but there are some parental advisories I have to make them aware of.  First of all, language.  It's continuous and unnecessary.  With that being said, it's almost understandable since both teens are dying of cancer and angry.  Second, there are sexual scenes.  They are not descriptive, but the characters do engage in premarital sex.  Again, the reader is asked to excuse this behavior because the characters have cancer.  The author says as much through his characters.  It's quite ingenious, actually.  Finally, immature tweens may not be able to handle the anguish caused by some of the more brutally realistic death scenes.  I'm a 42 year old woman and had trouble forgetting these characters were not real and this was not happening to people I knew!  

I'm interested to see how the story plays out on the big screen.  I'm secretly hoping for more of the best friend, Kaitlin.  She was to this story what Ridley was to Beautiful Creatures.  :)

Happy (or sad) Reading!

RC

No comments:

Post a Comment