Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Freak the Mighty

It's Book Fair week in our school library and I'm caught up on my required reading.  My student crew is handling the cash register and fair responsibly, so I'm taking my supervisor's job very seriously and sipping coffee while bossing them around.  Seriously, I'm spending my very much desired and rare down time reading books from the collection that my daughter may enjoy reading next year when she enters sixth grade.  I'm starting with Rodman Philbrick's Freak the Mighty.  Our school library owns a classroom set and a group of sixth graders usually read them with one of their teachers each year.  I've never read it...so here we go!  I'm also excited that we own the movie...LOVE reading books and watching the movie!  Here's a blurb from the back of the book.  Feel free to join me as I read!  

"Max.  Freak.  Best Friends.  Forever.  I never had a brain until Freak came along.... That's what Max thought.  All his life he'd been called stupid.  Dumb.  Slow.  It didn't help that his body seemed to be growing faster than his mind.  It didn't help that people were afraid of him.  So Max learned how to be alone.  At least until Freak came along.  Freak was weird, too.  He had a little body---and a really big brain.  Together Max and Freak were unstoppable.  Together, they were Freak the Mighty."

Sounds like a perfect book for middle school!
Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment