Search This Blog

Friday, December 5, 2014

What my daughter and I are reading...

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry is a fast favorite for many upper elementary and middle school
students.  When my daughter asked for an historical fiction recommendation, I immediately knew the time had come to introduce this topic with the best story I know for tweens.  This Newbery Winner is short, direct, simply written and pertinent.  It's the story of Annemarie, a citizen of Denmark (aka Dane) who lives during the Nazi occupation of Europe.  Her best friend is a Jewish girl named Ellen.  As you might suspect, the Germans have set up a military state and are beginning to herd the Jews into concentration camp as this story progresses.  I like that Lowry gives the reader just enough information about this horrific event in our history to want to know more, yet doesn't bombard the reader with details.  The truth of the events is shocking and realistic enough.  My daughter is on chapter 3 and already "likes" it.  She is able to comprehend and make connections, which has been difficult for her in the past.  I highly recommend this wonderful book for tweens. As a librarian, I have found they usually want to read it again once they are a bit older.  And they love it just as much.  

Happy Reading,
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment