Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Revisiting books...

I've had the conversation lately with a classroom teacher and her group of 6th grade girls about rereading books...we all agreed that there is value in it.  However, some people see it as a waste of time.  I can understand that to a point.  And the point is, that we always pick up something new from the author each time we read their ideas.  We bring with us new experiences, opinions and perspectives when we read a book again.  For example, I read The Secret Garden as a child and again as an adult.  Instead of simply thinking this was a "good" book, I was able to compare it to all of the other books I've read and see it for what it truly is...a classic.  Thank goodness!  Also, there's a practical reason for rereading books and that is simply because we enjoy them.  As the teacher pointed out to her students, "Don't some of you watch a movie more than once?"  Um, yes.  Yes, we do.  

And so I've said all that to be able to share this...I'm revisiting a book I've already read as a favor to one of my students.  And, I'm revisiting a book I shamefully abandoned back in March of 2012 as a lesson to all of my students.  I'm reading Copper Sun by Sharon Draper and attempting The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud once more. Copper Sun is the historical account of the slave trade and one young African girl's attempt to survive it!  It's not a book you can say you "like" because of the horrific events that permeate her story, but it's worth reading again.  Worth being reminded of our tragic past.  And it's worth reading again because the 7th grade girl that chose it for me was passionate about recommending it to me and although I told her I had already read it, the look in her eyes was enough to persuade me to read it again.  :)

The Bartimaeus Trilogy book #1 is fantasy and chronicles Nathaniel who is a magician's apprentice.  In his attempt to skip the hard work, he uses shortcuts in his magic that will
eventually cause him some conflict.  (That's what the blurb alludes to anyway.)  I'm going to start again from the beginning and try to read with the purpose of finding the just right student for this book.  As I mentioned in my previous blog in March, 2012, I've tried it on a couple of students and have not been successful yet.  It's a challenge I'm willing to take.  

So as you can see, I've got my hands full of reading material and am hoping to make it through both before Christmas Break so that I can read some newer titles!  :)

Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment