Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Clockwork Three

With yesterday's stormy weather and the serenity of a daughter who wanted to entertain herself with magic tricks and a son who feverishly slept off a sinus infection, I was able to finish The Clockwork Three by Matthew J. Kirby.  I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised by this historical fiction/science fiction blend.  I'm going to suggest the 8th grade students read this next year.  Multiple copies will be ordered!

I was reluctant to read it, for I had read the blurb and knew it wasn't my type of ya fiction.  I prefer fantasy or realistic fiction when reading for our tweens.  However, I practiced what I preach and dug in.  After about 10 chapters, I have to admit I was hooked.  Will any of my students hang in there for 10 chapters?  Probably not without being led there.  But they will miss amazing character development, an intertwining plot and fantastic historical scenes written with an artistic hand.  I was able to experience everything Kirby intended.  His ability to work with figurative language is remarkable.  Here's an example from page 197, describing Roger Tom, the orphanage factory foreman, "...his neck bent like he had that millstone from the Bible hanging from it."  Now, I know all about the scripture from the Bible that threatens harm against a child of God with a millstone hanging around the neck, but if a student had never heard that, the image would lose it's significance.  This is my argument for reading classical literature..there are some cultural references that show up over and over again.  Kids need to be exposed to certain pieces of literature to "catch" them.


Synopsis taken from book:  "As mysterious circumstances bring Giuseppe, Frederick and Hannah together, their lives soon interlock like the turning gears in a clock and they realize that each one holds a key to solving the others' mysteries." Another example appears on page 201 where Hannah describes McCauley Park and it's magical feel...she sites "fairy rings" and the "phantasm".  A cultural reference the author sneaks in is on page 203..."Who was out here to see her ankles anyway?"  Without describing what Hannah is wearing, Kirby gives us a description nonetheless.  (As long as you know what turn of the century clothes in New York City looked like.)


Who is Giuseppe?  He's a busker, a street musician.  He attempts to earn $2 a day playing his fiddle.  His dream is to somehow make it back to his home country of Italy.  Once he finds a green violin, his story takes a turn.


Who is Frederick?  He an orphaned, clockworker apprentice, trying to make journeyman.  He's working on his own automaton man.  When he discovers a legend is actually true, his story takes a turn as well.


Who is Hannah?  She's a young maid who works in a hotel...trying to support her family.  Her father has had a stroke and can no longer work as a stonemason.  Once she takes a job with Madame Pomeroy, a fortune teller, her story takes a turn...for the worse.

We always ask our students to make connections...here's mine.  "Dirt and manure are my gold.  And these flowers are my jewelry.  I'm wealthier than all the lords of industry." -Alice, pg. 83.  

I absolutely looooove Alice!  She's my favorite character.
Sorry if this review is a bit disconnected.  I'm battling the urge to go outside while writing this entry.  The sun is finally shining!


*This book may/may not make it to the Fall Book Frenzy List.  I'm thinking there's another historical piece the kids may "enjoy" more.  


Happy Reading!
RC




No comments:

Post a Comment