Search This Blog

Friday, April 8, 2011

A Reliable Wife

Last year, while in Books-a-Million, I picked up a jewel of a read called A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick.  (Adult fiction.)  I usually don't peruse the sale table, I have enough books bought up to read...but this one caught my eye.  (Plus, it was $3.00.)  USA Today called it "A killer debut novel...good to the riveting end" and I have to agree!  I managed to finish this one within 24 hours, despite 2 sick kids, a hungry husband and a house screaming to be cleaned.  ;)

The story is set in wintery Wisconsin in 1908.  The author was inspired to write about  the desolute people who lived in this time/place and so the details transport you there immediately.  The main characters, Ralph, Catherine and Antonio, are brilliantly written and I began to "cast" them in my very own movie within the first couple chapters.  Character development occurs throughout the book so that you really never know everything about the character...I love when I'm surprised by a plot.  How boring to have it figured out by page 50!  

I really wish someone would write this screenplay.  Man, what a thriller!  I'm hopeful, because this book is published by the same company that released Water for Elephants (in theaters now).

Okay, enough gushing...we have Ralph, the main character.  He's lived a pampered, yet tortured life.  His family owned the town, every major business and virtually his life.  So, he set off to Europe to "live" and made lots and lots of mistakes.  He's paying for them as the book opens.  Catherine is the "reliable wife" he advertised for and who answered.  She arrives in chapter 2.  As she steps off the train, the first conflict is introduced...this is not the woman in the picture he received!  Who is she?  Ah, that's for you to find out.  She has a dangerous past!  What's she doing in Wisconsin???  And our final character, Antonio, is as Italian and dark as his name implies.  He's tall, dark and handsome.  A real ladies man.  And, he's evil.  Of course!  We have to have an antagonist!  But he's the answer to every woman's dream during 1908 and he tries to fulfill every one of their fantasies.  What's the connection between the three?  Well, Ralph gives Catherine her first wifely duty...go find Antonio, his son.  


And just what do you think happens next?  You'll never guess!  In the meantime, take a gander at the other covers offered for this book...


This cover would have sold more copies, I think.
Goolrick says that "winter" is his fourth character.
This is my favorite!  Exactly as I pictured Catherine!
The red canary is a symbol...
Twilight cover, anybody???
Audiobook cover...so, who ran out of money for a real model?  I would NEVER pick this up.  This is sooooo not Catherine.  What were they thinking?!
Goolrick is not my new favorite author or anything like that, but this WAS a fun read.  Couldn't put it down.  Page turner.  Thriller.  Oh, and for those of you who are interested, Goolrick says most of this book is autobiographical.  What!?  Wow!
 
Happy Reading!

RC

No comments:

Post a Comment