Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Library Withdrawals

Here I am, enjoying the third full week day of my summer vacation and I'm having withdrawals...library withdrawals.  What's that, you may ask?  Well, when I'm at work in the library, I'm very efficient.  I work continuously, rarely stopping to take any breaks.  Therefore, I accomplish a lot in a very short amount of time.  When the work day is over, I can look out across the library and smile with pride at my accomplishments.  Very rewarding.   Summer days don't give me the same satisfaction and I have to adjust.  The transition can be a bit difficult.

On my first summer day, I drove to Hopkinsville to help my sister-in-law with my niece, Tinley Blake.  See picture...she is the prettiest little thing, isn't she?  I spent most of the day holding her, which I constituted as being VERY helpful since she is just one week old.  I drove home that afternoon pleased with myself for being so very helpful and filling my day with a useful service to someone else.  Giving is sp very rewarding.    Then, once home, I put a healthy, hot meal on the table for my family and proceeded to snuggle up with my own babies.  That day goes into the books as a "good day".

On the second summer day, I woke up with a passion to get this house clean!  I completely wiped away any winter/spring dust and cleaned from ceiling to floor.  Very proud of my work...the house is sparkling.  Husband very pleased.  Kids impressed.  I even finished the day by mowing the yard.  Day two in the books as a "good day". 

Now that the third summer day is here, I'm suddenly not quite sure what to do with myself.  It's storming outside and thus not a good day to go grocery shopping, which would have made this day a good one.  I would have thoroughly sanitized the refrigerator before putting anything new in, of course.  LOL  So with that not possible, I decided that the kids and I would hit our chores early and get our daily reading over with before noon.  Okay, that's done.  Now what?  I have plenty to do, don't get me wrong.  Anyone with a house knows that.  However, I'm losing the drive, the push, the motivation to do anything but sit and read.  What's wrong with that, you ask?  Well, nothing.  But at the end of the day, I feel so useless.  Nothing really got accomplished, other than pages down and another book closer to meeting my yearly goal of 100.  I hate this feeling!  I love being productive.  It's a fatal flaw, I'm afraid.  I mean, I could be cleaning out my daughter's bedroom, spackling the walls, sanding the decorative painting down, in preparation for painting the walls "Justin Bieber purple".  But after packing out a few items, I quit. 

This happens every year.  You may be thinking that I should just relax and enjoy the rain.  Read, who cares?  Guess my Type A personality won't have it.  So, I stripped the bed and plan on putting clean sheets on soon.  Then what?  LOL

This blog entry may not be my usual, but I promise you it is literary related.  Characters that I connect with the most are efficient, Type A personalities, who can't sit still and can't stop worrying or thinking about a problem.  They act, they don't wait.  Authors I prefer are those that get right to the action.  They don't bore you with useless detail. The plot moves quickly and there's enough foreshadowing that I can predict and thus become an active participant.  No shallow reading for me!  Even the historical romances I prefer for summer reading are full of historical figures and thus teach me something! See?  I CANNOT RELAX!

So, if you don't know yourself as a person yet, take a look at what you read.  It should tell you more about yourself...can't promise you it will fix any problems you may have.  LOL

For those who love historical romance, here's the latest book I've finished in the Malory series by Johanna Lindsey.  Tender Rebel.  I appreciate her plot twists.  I love her male characters.  They're so sensible in the face of the silly women they seem to have fallen in love with.  (That's not very politically correct, is it?) 

Whatever you're doing with your summer, be sure to include a book in your plans.  And go with your gut instinct when choosing books...it appears to be very revealing. And I suppose I'm not really having "library" withdrawals, but am having trouble transitioning into the laid-back summer Mama I enjoy being so much.  Because on a typical summer day, my kids and I don't actually accomplish very much.  We just have fun.  :)
Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment