Search This Blog

Monday, July 7, 2014

A Wizard of Earthsea

In one of my favorite movies, The Jane Austen Book Club, one of the characters suggests another read author Ursula K. LeGuin's books.  I have never, so now I shall.  I'm previewing the Earthsea Cycle for the middle school library and am finding many interesting similarities to Tolkien's work.  Also, since this series was first copyrighted in 1968, I'm guessing J.K. Rowling also read this as a young girl because the Harry Potter plot sounds remarkably similar... a young wizard with unbelievable power is nurtured by an older wizard and sent to a school for wizards to learn the magical trade.  He encounters many foe along the way and battles one particularly evil creature in book 1.  Reminds me so much of the summer I read the HP series.  I can see why so many people love the Earthsea Cycle...the plot is quick, the prose perfect.  

Although, I have to admit that I had a bit of trouble getting into it up until page 108.  That was when it "clicked" for me.  That's when the plot became really interesting and I felt like all the necessary foundation had been laid and the author was ready to take me on an adventure with Ged, the main character.

I have just a few more chapters before I'm finished and I'm still undecided as to whether or not I'll read the other 5 books.  Just in case I don't, I've included a picture for reference.  (This is not my photograph and I only ordered books 1-6.  Not sure quite yet what that 7th is about.  I did,
however, order the DVD for the library.)

Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment