Search This Blog

Friday, July 18, 2014

American Gods

Wow.  What can I possibly say about a Neil Gaiman book other than...wow?  Immediately drawn in by the tree on the cover, I gladly entered the 500 + page journey of this author's preferred text version of American Gods.  Having read Gaiman before, I knew what to expect...a wild imaginative plot with characters so real you swear they're based upon people you really know.  Afterwards, I always have the surreal experience of wondering if I dreamed the story, read it or actually lived it!  It's quite an adventure a reader takes upon themselves to read a Gaiman novel.  My students love Coraline and The Graveyard Book.  I'm pleased to say I'm a fan of his adult work as well.  

In this novel, we meet Shadow, a prisoner soon to be released from prison.  His story is mysterious and hidden.  Gaiman always does a great job of peeling a character like an onion.  There's always lots of juicy layers!  Once Shadow is released from prison, he is taken on a whirlwind road trip across the United States, visiting many roadside attractions.  I recognized several.  The people he encounters are really ancient gods once worshipped by cultures but are no longer powerful because people have stopped believing.  They've moved on to "worshipping" technology, the media, transportation, music, etc...  The gods fight for survival and it was so much fun to read and try to figure out which character represented which ancient god/goddess.  

I couldn't put it down!  Loved it so much!

Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment