Search This Blog

Saturday, July 19, 2014

The Thing About Luck

National Book Award Winner.  Author Susan Patron said it would give me insight into the typical 12-year old brain.  A reviewer said we should steal this from the nearest pre-teen.  I agree.  In addition, I would advise any girl who has ever been on a farm, worked on a farm or was raised on a farm to read this wonderful story about Summer and her family.  

During the wheat harvest season, Summer and her family are hired out to drive semi's, combines and tractors.  This year, her parents are pulled away to Japan to help take care of elderly family members and Summer and Jaz (her younger brother) are left with their grandparents to carry on the work.  Not only was I mesmerized by the simple, straight-forward text, I was impressed at the farming knowledge and Japanese culture imbedded in the text.  

I started this book at exactly 6:15 this morning.  Finished it in 2 hours.  Will definitely recommend this book to my students.  Such a sweet story!

Happy Reading!
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment