Search This Blog

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Beautiful Creatures

I'm expecting lots of tweens to enjoy this book! (Especially Twilight fans) Beautiful Creatures, by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl is a romance novel that spans several generations of Southern families. I love how the authors intertwine themes like prejudice, friendship, romance with a fantasy plot while maintaining a historical perspective.

The authors met over coffee one day and while talking about young adult literature, decided to write a novel themselves. They came up with a story arc, recorded in on the only available surface (napkins) and then went to work recording the history of two families...the Duchannes girls and the Ravenwood boys. Without getting too caught up with dark magical themes, they record the struggle between light and dark, good and evil, nice and mean, right and wrong...you get the picture.

We have the romance between Ethan and Lena to keep us interested, the Civil War town of Gatlin to set the stage and a ghost to lead us back in time to add just the right amount of magic. Of course there are villains. Boys will LOVE Ridley. (They won't have a choice. Not going to reveal why...) I am most interested in Macon Ravenwood, the patriarch of the family. I think he's a vampire.

And I say "I think" because for the first time, I'm reviewing a book I'm not quite finished with. I only have a few chapters, but my inference will hopefully be correct. I'm also predicting I won't have time to properly record this blog entry if I don't do it now. Every time I sit at the computer, my kids take the opportunity to ask me to do something for them. Something vital to their survival. Has to happen NOW. Mothers will understand what I'm talking about.

So I leave you to hopefully record Beautiful Creatures on your "To Read" list. This is a novel for everyone. Mothers, daughters, tween boys who like fantasy, the 8th grade teacher needing to teach the Civil War in an interesting way, the English teacher wanting examples of descriptive writing, the book club leader needing something different that can truly be "discussed".

May I say it's refreshing to read something NOT inspired by the recent vampire trend?

Don't miss the opportunity to read an original Southern tale, written by Southern gals. And if you read it aloud, it sounds best with a Southern drawl.

Happy Reading Ya'll
RC

No comments:

Post a Comment